Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tough days, Amazing memories

Huntington, WV     5/27/08

It has been a few days since I have addressed you guys here.  I am happy to say that I am growing stronger and fighting through adversities.  I have been through a lot since the last thing you have read.  I will try to list the best memories interspersed between the few unfortunate experiences.  

I have been unlucky enough to lose my personal journal, so I am going to do my best to remember everything that has happened in the whirlwind that has been my week.  My ankle is very much improved (close to 100%), but I have had some trouble with my saddle (bike seat.)  I was very distraught, to say the least, when a doctor told me that I may be unfit to continue with my trip.  

Since then I have purchased a new saddle. It is a women's model.  As it is, the good Lord saw fit to bless me with my mother's hips (no offense Mom...).  This new saddle, I am glad to say, fits "relatively" comfortably under my hind end, unlike it's predecessor which would lodge itself... well, you get the picture.  

I have been progressively riding further and further every day.  Most of the locals around here have been very obliging and interested in our cause.  At breakfast this morning, 5 separate individuals collectively donated $180 cash to our trip.

Yesterday's ride was amazing.  I am disappointed to say that I was only able to ride during the first and final third of our 90 mile trip.  The first half of my day was pretty rough.  After crossing the New River in an eerie haze of fog, we met our hardest climb of the trip: a grueling 5 mile stretch of 9 1/2 grade winding inclines.  I have to be honest, I had to walk with my bike a good bit after I led for the first 2 miles.  

After waiting with Anne (bum knee) for the van to scoop her up, I enjoyed a mostly downhill 30 miles of beautiful mountain country in rural West Virginia.  After spending the middle third of the day in the van, I was amazed to ride through some of the most picturesque landscape that I have ever laid eyes on.  I was on such a high during this 25 mile stretch.  I got my first chance to ride alongside my good buddy Nathan.  What a day it was.  I have so much more to say to you all, but there is a line for the computer and I am very tired.

Much Love,
Cory

5 comments:

mom said...

MOM'S HIPS????

OK, I'll admit it's true...

Environmental Law Society said...

Awe Hang in there Cory! I'm booking my flight to meet you guys in St. Louis next week and I can't wait to be back on the saddle... although I'll probably have to ease my way back into things.

Mimzy09 said...

God bless you, Cory, and all your fellow bikers. We knew going into this even the most fit would be really challenged. You are perservering. And we know you will continue to do so. Milton and I are lifting you up in thought and prayers daily. Hang tough.
AND, OH, about your mother's hips, Big Milton says, "If you can't see them, and can't feel them, then why the hell have them." God bless your mom too, Cory!
Love, Auntie Peg & Milton

Unknown said...

Kudos, Cory! Hope you are able to get some pix of your trip, though maybe not the spandex-wearing traffic directing!:)anyhoo, keep riding and know you are in our prayers!
cheers,
Joanne (your Mom's call girl)

Rich said...

Glad to see you are in the saddle again after leaving Lynchburg, VA. Good luck the rest of the trip.